1/30/2018

CAS(E) this Sketch #256 - birthday wishes

I made this card for this week's CAS(E) this Sketch #256.



Chrissy's sketch was a little challenging and I was thinking for a while whether I should go with a graphic design theme or a nature theme. 
When I saw Donna's cascaded rose card, a light bulb went on - Orchids!
I have Altenew's classy orchid stamps but I haven't used them. I thought this was a perfect opportunity to play with them. 



I heat-embossed the flowers and the buds on a piece of parchment, colored them with Zig markers, and die cut them. I drew the stem with Zig markers and Prismacolor pencils. I lightly colored the card base with Oxide Ink using a clarity brush and stamped the sentiment in Versafine.

Here's a close-up of the flowers:



Actually, I made 3 cards for the sketch - One of them was ruined because I accidentally dropped liquid glue on the card base after I finished the card ...😢
The other card I made is this:



I used specialty vellum (it has a sheen to it) instead of parchment, darkened the colors of the flowers, and pasted the front panel on black cardstock. I carefully drew the stem with Prismacolor pencils.
However, I liked the first simpler card better after all. I'm sure you all have experienced this: the amount of time and energy you spend on a card doesn't always correlate with the end result. Sometimes it's frustrating but I guess that's what makes card-making challenging and fun. 😊 

Thanks for visiting me today! 


Stamp: Oriental Orchid (Altenew), That Is All (WPlus9)
Paper: Neenah Cardstock (Solar White - 110 lb)
, Parchment (Grafix Arts)
Ink: VersaMark (Tsukineko), Zig Clean Color Brush Marker (Yellow, Orange, Light Violet, Pale Green, Light Green - Kuretake), Distress Oxide (Wilted Violet - Ranger), Versafine (Onyx Black - Tsukineko), Colored Pencils (Grass Green, Dark Brown - Prismacolor)
Accessories: Oriental Orchid Die (Altenew), Embossing Powder (Liquid Platinum - Ranger),
Die-namics A2 Stitched Rectangle STAX (My Favorite Things)

11 comments:

  1. This is just lovely! What a great use of the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so beautiful!! Those flowers are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cards are so very beautiful, so gentle and gorgeous. I was wondering about the difference between parchment and the vellum x Love the soft blending on the background and those flowers are so pretty. Totally agree with your comments at the end of the post x Thanks for sharing these beauties x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could any other image represent our Sketch more beautifully than this? Hideko! a phenomenal card - and you've really stepped up to the challenge of that sketch - gorgeous!
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both your orchid stem cards are so beautiful and realistic, Hideko. I love your soft coloring, heat embossing and hand drawn stem for your orchids, but it was your soft Clarity Brush background that really made your flower design extra special, my friend. Your design would be wonderful for so many occasions.

    I agree, Clean and Simple does not necessarily mean...quick and easy! TFS Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! Wonderful take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sooo beautiful...great take on the sketch!
    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of these cards are gorgeous, Hideko! I love how you've colored the orchids and the backgrounds! I hope you were able to salvage some of the third card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect take on the sketch! The vellum blossoms are so delicate looking and pretty! Looks like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thrilled that my card inspired this beauty! I love the idea of an orchid spray and the gold embossing and coloring take it to a new level! A perfectly perfect take on the sketch, Hideko!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! Love the softness with the vellum, Hideko. And your sponging is so pretty and perfect contrast to the delicate orchids. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! Your comments are much appreciated!